Sunday, June 26, 2011

Jiufen Mountain Village

Together with my friend Cheng-Hung (a.k.a Paul) and his girlfriend Maggie, we did an afternoon trip to Jiufen (九份), which is a small mountain village right at the coast in northern Taiwan. It is about one hour by car from Taipei.

In the past, this village only counted nine families, so for each time a shipment would arrive from town, the village would request nine portions (Jiu fen) of it. Later, this also became the village name. Jiufen was a bit isolated until gold was discovered and people rushed in, booming the town. After gold mines were empty, the town declined again until a movie picture made it popular amongst the bigger crowds. Now it is a tourist attraction with local shops, teahouses and of course its nice scenic area.

The main street was extremely crowded, I was too busy watching around to all the food stall that forgot I brought my camera with me. However, here you can see some of the shots I did take.

Old street
Teahouse
More teahouses

Main temple in Jiufen
Dragon detail on Jiufen temple
Sunset view, just amazing.
Panoramic view


No comments:

Post a Comment